Kodi is a marvelous streaming app. Anything from movies to live streams can be watched on the app. It’s a free and open source software platform which enables the viewer to run anything on any device they own. It is the ultimate entertainment hub and an ideal app to watch UKTV on.
UKTV & Halow
UKTV is one of the United Kingdom’s largest television companies, featuring over 60+ channels. It reaches over 4 million viewers every month but, unfortunately, the UKTV Now app is no longer available on Kodi. If you want another way of accessing UKTV on Kodi, your best bet is to use an app called Halow.
This app offers country specific programming in addition to sporting, news and kids programming. Unfortunately, even with Halow a few regions are geo-blocked on the Kodi app due to several countries’ stringent piracy policies. This means that live streams from these countries can’t be accessed. In a few other regions, this app is illegal, causing several problems for international viewers to watch region-locked content at their comfort.
Solve your problems – get a VPN
To work past all this, all one would need is a VPN connection. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a tool used to masquerade one’s IP address and encrypt all internet traffic. The benefits of a VPN service are numerous. You can stream UKTV in Australia on Kodi with the help of a VPN as it bypasses all regional restrictions.
There are quite a few different VPN services on the Internet right now, but you need to be careful as they are not all created equal! The free services especially – Hulu and the Opera browser service – should be avoided at all costs as not only do they drastically reduce the speed of your connection, but they have also been found to install malware on user devices!
One service that I highly recommend though is Shellfire VPN. Shellfire offers both software and hardware variants and is really easy to setup and install. From a software side, you have support for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android and if there is anything else on your network – like a Smart TV or Apple TV – the hardware version (Shellfire Box) is an absolute gem.
I’d strongly suggest that you check them out as the service is not laggy, and it’s easy to choose from a variety of different countries and servers to ensure that you are always able to bypass any geo-restriction problems you might come across.
Using Kodi and Halow
Once you’ve downloaded, setup and installed Shellfire on your system, the next steps are really simple – all you need is the Halow Kodi add-on.
To view live streams from the UK, the following steps should be followed:
Setup your VPN
- Open your Shellfire VPN app or login to the web interface to configure your Shellfire Box. When you are in select the Server List tab.
- From the list of Servers available, select the 3 “crown” symbols at the bottom to filter by the fastest servers and then scroll up or down the list to find a server located in the UK. Simply click on one of these servers and you will be logged in with a secure and encrypted connection.
Setup Kodi with Halow
If you have not already done so, follow these instructions to download and install Halow on your Kodi box.
- Open the Kodi app. Click on ‘ system’ and then ‘File manager ‘
- Click on ‘ add source ‘
- In the empty space, type http://repo.halowtv.org/and click on DONE. Give the source a name (for example xyz) and click on OK to proceed
- Return to Home screen and click on ‘System’ and then ‘Add-Ons’
- Go to ‘install from zip’ and select the media source name you had given previously in step 3
- Scroll to ‘repository.HalowTV-3.1.1.zip’ and press on it, wait for the addon enabled notification
- After installing, you’ll be notified about the repository enabling
- Go to ‘install from repository’ and go to ‘Halow repository’
- Click on ‘Video Add-Ons’ and choose ‘Halow Live TV’ and press Install. Wait for the add-on enable message.
- Go to the home screen and now you’ll see the Halow icon visible in your Videos section.
Now you can enjoy videos and streams from Halow. You will have access to many different country specific channels, 24/7 streams, Kids Movies and Music Channels. Halow is one of the better all in one app and it works really well.