NBA 2017/2018 season is on and will run all the way to June 2018. The Basketball League commands a massive following around the world. The major hurdle is usually keeping up with the live action, especially if you live outside the US, or you are just outside the country.
Thanks to Kodi, catching live sports is now easier than ever before. The open source media center Kodi puts a world of content at your fingertips. It does so through the use of add-ons, both official and non-official.
With Kodi, you can watch all NBA action live and on-demand.
You will need a VPN
Kodi is open source and completely legal. However, some of the third-party add-ons that you can install usually access content in a suspicious way. This is an issue that has caused a lot of concern among content owners, leading to the blockage of various add-ons. There has also been a major crackdown on pre-loaded Kodi boxes, especially in the UK, that has led to some legal charges.
Just to stay on the safe side, it is imperative to use a VPN whenever you want to stream content on Kodi. This will protect you from copyright agencies all over the world, as well as make sure that you don’t get a copyright infringement notice from your ISP.
Further, most sports add-ons that offer live sports have been blocked by various ISPs, rendering them useless if you don’t have a VPN. Even the official NBA pass Kodi add-on usually faces a blackout on various games in certain locations.
To overcome this, you just need to connect a secure VPN and a server located in the US. This will avoid ISP blocking as well as bandwidth throttling – especially when streaming.
When you connect to a VPN, the VPN acts as a tunnel between your computer or smartphone and the content you are streaming. It encrypts your traffic and sends it to a different server, and this prevents your ISP from knowing your details and sharing the information.
Watching NBA using Kodi NBA League Pass Add-on
The league pass add-on is an official add-on, which makes it completely legal. This add-on, however, requires you to have an active NBA League Pass subscription. If you have a working NBA League Pass, then you can follow the following procedure below to install NBA LP on Kodi.
- Launch Kodi on your device and head to ‘Add-ons’.
- Select the Package Installer Icon in the top left corner.
- From there, click on ‘Install from Repository’ -> Kodi Add-on Repository -> Video Addons.
- Click on NBA League Pass -> Install.
- After installation is complete, you’ll see the ‘NBA League Pass Addon Enabled’ notification.
- Now go back to the Kodi home screen and select the ‘Add-ons’ tab from the left-hand column.
- Click on Video Add-ons.
- All the video add-ons you install, including NBA League Pass, will appear here.
You will now need to log in using your NBA League Pass.
Other Official NBA Add-ons include;
- ESPN 3
- NBC Sports
- Fox Sports Go
Watching NBA using third party Add-ons
Kodi third-party add-ons are usually free and do not require you to provide any subscription details.
Before you install or use any third party add-on, make sure that your VPN is enabled. After that, you will need to allow Kodi to install third-party add-ons.
To do this;
- Click on the Settings Icon in the top left corner.
- Go to System Settings -> Expert Mode -> Add-ons.
- Turn on ‘Unknown Sources.’ When the warning box pops up, click ‘Yes.’
You will now be able to install third-party add-ons.
Here is a list of the best third-party add-ons for Kodi.
- Bob Unleashed- BOB SportsRepository URL: http://noobsandnerds.com/portal/
- NBA On DemandRepository URL:http://areswizard.co.uk
- BENNU (Phoenix is dead)Repository URL: http://areswizard.co.uk
- NBA Full GamesRepository URL: http://fusion.tvaddons.co
- Sports DevilRepository URL: http://dimitrology.com/repo
The repository URLs given above are the sources of the add-ons. They will be used in the procedure below.
Installing Third-Party Add-ons on Kodi
Here is the general procedure of enabling NBA add-ons.
- On Kodi home screen, click the Settings It will open the System Menu
- Go to File Manager, and then double-click ‘Add-Source’ to open a panel.
- Type the URL of the add-on repository (Below each of the above Add-ons) into the window that opens.
- Type a custom name for the repository you’re about to add and then click “OK”.
- Go back to the Kodi main menu and select “Add-ons”.
- Click the open box icon at the top of the menu bar.
- Choose “Install from Zip File”
- Select the repository you just added.
- Wait for the repository to install. A notification will appear when it’s ready.
- Go back to the Add-ons menu and click the open box icon again.
- Choose “Install from the repository.”
- Find the add-on you’d like to install from the repository.
- Wait for it to give the notification, ‘installed’.
- You can now enjoy your plugin.
These add-ons will give you a lot of flexibility to watch NBA live and on-demand content. However, remember that your security and privacy comes first. You don’t want to enjoy watching a few games only to have legal action taken against you. In choosing your VPN, make sure you choose a VPN that guarantees you high level security and total privacy. This is in addition to unblocking geo-restrictions and offering excellent speeds to enable you to stream in HD.
One VPN that meets all the above criteria is Shellfire VPN. Shellfire VPN uses AES-256-CBC as theircipher for Premium Plus, AES-192-CBC for Premium and AES-128-CBC for Free accounts. They also use 2048-bit RSA keys and certificates. Currently, there is a Christmas 2017-30% on everything offer that allows you to save 30% on all new orders. If you haven’t been locked out, this is one offer to jump on!